* For the purpose of istinjah, take along water and lumps of clay. To use three lumps of clay or three stones is mustahab (preferable). If circumstances prevail, then this will be sufficient. Due to (clay lumps), difficulties are experienced in flushing the toilets. Thus, the Ulama have advised that toilet paper should be used so that the flush is not spoilt.
* It was the practice of Prophet Muhammad PBUH to visit the toilet with his head covered and with his shoes on.
* Before entering the toilet recite this dua:
Trans: O Allah! I seek your protection from the male and female Jinns (Bukhari, Muslim, Tirmidhi, Ibne Majah).
Note: Mullah Ali Qari ( ) has written in Mirqaat that with the blessings of the recitation of this dua, a veil is cast between the person visiting the toilet and the evil Jinns. Hence they are unable to see one’s private parts. He has also written that the () of the word can be read with either a dhamma (Pesh) or a Saakin (Jazm). (Mirqaat – Vol. 1, pg. 361)
* When entering the toilet, enter with the left foot first (Ibne Majah)
* When removing the undergarment(s), it is better to lower oneself towards the ground as much as easily possible and thereafter remove the garment (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood).
* When coming out from the toilet, step out with the right foot first and then recite this dua:
Trans: O Allah! I seek forgiveness from you. All praise is due to Allah who removed from me that which was harmful and granted me safety.
* Before entering the toilet, remove any ring etc, upon which any verse (Aayat) of Quran or the name of Prophet Muhammad PBUH is visible (Nasai).
* When relieving oneself do not face the Qibla nor turn the back towards it. (Mishkaat , Tirmidhi , Ibne Majah)
* When relieving oneself, do not speak except out of absolute necessity. Also, do not engage in any Zikr whilst in the toilet. (Mishkaat, Abu Dawood – pg. 3)
* Be extremely careful and ensure that droplets of urine and stool do not splash upon one as most of the punishment of the grave is due to not protecting oneself from urine splashes. (Bukhari, Ibne Maajah)
* Do not touch the private parts with the right hand during istinjaa. Use the left hand for this purpose. (Bukhari, Abu Dawood)
* Where a toilet is not available, relieve oneself behind some barrier so that one is not exposed to others. (Abu Dawood, Ibne Majah)
* Search for soft ground (when relieving oneself in the open) so that the urine does not splash but is rather absorbed into the ground. (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood)
* Sit and urinate. Do not urinate while standing.(Tirmidhi)
* After urinating, if one needs to dry himself he should do so behind some barrier (i.e. wall etc.) (Bihishti Gohar)